Volunteers for research required – Experiences of gay and married men

UNSW LogoResearchers at The University of New South Wales, VAC, ACON and GAMMA are seeking volunteer research participants to learn about the experiences of men who are married to women and who have sex with men.

This is ground breaking research that is vitally important to men like us. The study aims to explore how men like us manage their sexual identities in everyday life and their experiences of stigma, depression and anxiety.

So far only five men have been interviewed but we need more volunteers. Taking part will help build a more accurate view of our community so that appropriate services and resources can be created by the STRIDE project.  These resources are for men like you no matter what stage in the “coming out” process you are in.  This is the first survey of its kind in Australia if not the world and it would be a terrible shame to waste the opportunity that will lead to the development of resources that could make a huge difference to our lives.

Would the research project be a good fit for me?

 The study might be a good fit for you if you:

  • Are a man married to (or in a long term relationship with) a woman, who has sex with men
  • Are aged 18 years or over
  • Live in metropolitan or regional NSW or Victoria
  • Are willing to talk about your life and sexuality

What would happen if I took part in the research project?

 If you decide to take part we will ask you to participate in a telephone interview for 45-60 minutes:

Will I be paid to take part in the research project?

 There are no additional costs associated with participation in this research project, so participants will not be paid.

 Who do I contact if I want more information or want to take part in the study?

 If you would like more information, or are interested in being part of the study, please contact:

Name:Dr Max Hopwood
Phone:02 9385 6436


  1. kylie
    February 24, 2016 @ 10:41 pm

    Just wondering if there is a service for the wive?

    • spbloom
      February 26, 2016 @ 1:28 am

      Hi Kylie,
      There certainly is some help available for the wives. Contact the Women Partners of Bisexual Men Service. womenpartners.org.au
      They provide counselling, support and information to women partners of same sex attracted men.

      Telephone: 02 9560 3011
      Freecall for outside Sydney: 1800 787 887

      Fax: 02 9569 5098
      Email: womenpartners@lwchc.org.au

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.